Spring expedition starts functioning in the Vestnik settlement of Anapa region from 15.03.2011. N.I. Sydarev is the expedition’s head, O.D. Chevelev is the open list’s holder. The excavations are being conducted with support of NCO the Archeology Foundation the director of which is Dadykina Tat’yana. The monument procedures will be managed byS.V. Kishaev, c.h.s. Pokunov Roman is responsible for material and technical base. We want to remind you that in fall 2010 there were found remains of a temple complex which supposedly was dedicated to Demeter but because of the weather conditions the excavation had to be conserved. This expedition’s goal is the final study of the temple base and opening of new adjacent territories.
It’s interesting that in the nearest neighborhood there are archeological monuments that already were studied but didn’t become less interesting. They’re directly related to the object studied by our group. We surely will organize trips to these monuments for participants of spring archeological excavations.
Historical reference on the nearest archeological monuments.
Semibratnee settlement- one of the largest Sindhi settlements on the Tamanskii peninsula which is located on the left bank of Kuban’ 12 km away to the west from Varenikovskaya railway station and 1 km away to the north from the Varenikovskaya-Anapa route. Almost entire territory with walls, ditches, etc. was preserved.
A large city center of Syndic (V-III centuries B.C.) was named Labrita.
According to the hypothesis of scientists studying Labrita the city was founded by Thracian colonists and was ruled by a dynasty of its offsprings. In course of time the city was obeyed by the Bosporan kingdom. From 1938 to 1951 the settlement has been studied by N.V. Anfimov. The scientist found and studied the settlement’s city walls and defensive towers. During the excavations he also studied a big stone construction which most likely belonged to a rich city inhabitant. Citizens of Labrita mostly were agriculturalists, fishermen, craftsmen and traded with barbarian tribes of the Kuban’ area and Bosporus. Supposedly during the Mitriadian wars the city was destroyed and finished its existence.
Semibratnie mounds- mounds that are located on the left terrace of Kuban’ river by Raznokol steading to the north from Semibratnii settlement. They’re elongated like a chain from the west to the east. The mounds’ height varies from 3,2 to 15 meters. They partly are covered with trees but are well-seen vrom the southern side away from Varenikovskaya-Anapa route. Their number caused the inhabitants to call the mound group “Seven brothers”.
In 1975 and 1976 the mounds were actively studied by V.G. Tizengauzen, a famous Russian orientalist and archeologist. As a result of his excavations were open stone tombs containing rich burials of noble Sinds (V-IV centuries B.C.). Probably, these were burials of Labrita’s ruling dynasty. The dead were accompanied with multiple burial inventory: weapons, tableware, jewelry and clothing details. The greatest part of items was made out of precious metals. At the crypts and around them were found multiple horse burials with bronze bridle sets.
There is an excellent sight of the neighborhood from the tops of Semibratnii mounds. From the south can be see the hilly end of Caucasus Mountains covered with vineyards and mound groups. From the north can be seen a submarine well covered with reed that was left from the old Kuban’ bed and a strip of hills of Taman’ peninsula.